Thursday, April 14, 2011

Announcements, announcements, annoooouuuuncements!

I received a wonderful phone call at work yesterday!  I have been asked to design a cake for Minnesota Brides Magazine!  The story will be similar to this, featuring several local bakeries.  The theme is "Black and White" - one of my favorite color (or colorless) combinations.  Black and white can be bold, dainty, understated, simple, or complex, and I love it any which way.  I have not decided what I will do yet, but I have a couple sketches I'm thinking about.  I would like to come up with a concept that is sophisticated, but not so outlandish that it is intimidating or would cost a fortune to recreate.  If I have learned anything about Minnesota brides in my first year here, it's that they lean on the traditional, understated side.  Is that my personal style?  No, but I think we can find a happy medium.

Here are some of my favorite black and white cakes I've done over the years.



Saved the best for last...this is probably my favorite cake of ALL TIME.  I can't claim the design, it was copied from this picture:

 Cake by Cake Girls in Chicago

But damn!  Is that a darn near perfect replica or what?!  I actually like mine better because I made the flowers out of chocolate so they were popping off the cake and really made it come alive.  Picking a design for the mag is going to be so hard!

Ebony and ivory love,
Rachel

2 comments:

Mallory Joe said...

I'm leaning towards a Black and White cake, I know it's a faux pas in the summer, but I don't care. :)

ChefRachel said...

I disagree! Black and white doesn't have to be heavy, just look at the cake I did for Minnesota Brides.

Also, f*** the rules ;)