Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cupcake Commentary/FAQ

Today's post is dedicated to my brother, Captain Richard Wille.  Richard is currently undergoing surgery for testicular cancer in South Korea, where he is stationed with the US Air Force.  His condition weighs heavily on my heart, and your thoughts and prayers are appreciated beyond words.  

 <3, Baby Sis





Q:  Cupcakes?


A:....sigh.  The raging popularity of cupcakes carries on.  I think it's been about three years now?  I have my theories as to why they made a monumental comeback:

1 - Portion control.  Carbs are the enemy.  One cupcake is somehow deemed less sinful than...a piece of cake?  I don't know, ladies and gents.

2 - Nostalgia.  Cupcakes x kids + youthful birthdays = Sweet memories.  Awwww.

3 - Economics. Yes, a cupcake IS usually less expensive than a serving of layer cake.  However, sheetcake is even less expensive.  But I hate sheetcakes, so I digress...

4 - Sampling.  I will say, I can be very intrigued by unique flavor combinations, and a single cupcake is an excellent way to sample these without the commitment of a whole cake.  They also make it easy to snag a smorgasbord of flavors, sure to please all tastes.
 
5 - Cute Factor.  Miniature = adorable.  See:  Kittens, puppies, and bunny rabbits. 

6 - Peer Pressure.  Everyone talks about them.  Every magazine prints them.  Bakeries devote themselves solely to cupcake worship.  Some even make "man" cupcakes now.  How can you NOT like cupcakes?!  You must like the cupcake!  EAT THE CUPCAKE!


So what do I think?

For the most part, I have no beef with the mini cakes.  I'm particular about my cake to icing ratio (balanced).  I like a tidy cupcake, clean, easy to eat without a plate and fork.  Cuteness is a major plus, but it bums me out when people expect elaborate decor and balk at the price.  Small does not mean easy.  It can mean quite the opposite at times.  My advice:  Be up front with your cupcake artist if you are working on a budget.  He/she should be able to give you your best options for what you are working with.  Likewise, simple can be equally chic!  Sprinkles have come a looooong way.  Websites such as Fancy Flours offer really adorable do-it-yourself decorations (albeit they can get spendy fast).  Can we just agree to avoid plastic doodads?


Awesome.


You know what else is awesome?  My clients!  Because I get to make these for them!  Seriously!  I will be making these in the next couple weeks:

Pinkalicious Cupcakes

Via marthastewart.com

Have a great weekend!

Rachel

5 comments:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love the pink cupcakes and the blue birds are so cute! I can safely eat half a cupcake and not spike my blood sugar, so there's that.

I've been thinking of your brother, the Keptin, all day. Looking for some positive news while sending healing thoughts his way.

Michelle Frantz said...

So sorry to hear about your brother... He will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. I have to admit Rach, I love your blog! You are so talented at what you do... Keep up the good work:)

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom said...

Good points, Rach. I learn something new every time I read your blog. Yes...we love Captain and Mrs. Wille!

Claire said...

I love the little blue bird ones!:)