Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fit for a Princess

Confession:  I haven't watched the movie "Tangled."  Mr. Scott and I were just having a discussion about how we don't have the attention span for movies, all we watch is tv shows.  I really think this is a trademark of our generation:  We are impatient for information and entertainment.

Anyhoo!!!

I was able to find pictures of Rapunzel's tower on the internet, and also research prior attempts at this cake to find out what was going to work best.  Of course I wanted the cake to look better than any of them, with my own details and flourishes.  As always, I wanted to keep the cake as "edible" as possible.  In my internet searching, there were some really amazing and elaborate versions, but inside there was more styrofoam, pipes, and rice crispy treats than cake!  My philosophy is and always will be, "This is first and foremost a CAKE that people should want to eat."

Movie still.
Movie poster from the French version was the best one I could find for some reason....
The only inedible elements in my version are a cardboard cone to form the roof, a skewer for the spire, four 12" plastic tube supports to form and support the tower, the the Rapunzel toy provided by the client.  The "house" part was a 4" cake (three layers of cake, 2 layers of buttercream), and the base is a 12" chocolate cake with vanilla Bavarian cream filling.  I used rice crispy treats to form the rounded base of the house and the large boulders at the bottom (covered with fondant).

My messy little workspace.

I worked on the tower upside-down to keep what would become the platform for the house flat.  I used four 12" Wilton dowel tubes, taped together and wrapped with fondant to create the tower (I applied individual "rocks" over this for texture and definition).  The exposed white part went down into the cake for added stability. 

The finished roof, a cone of cardboard covered with foil.  Shingles were applied with white chocolate.  
I tinted some clear glaze blue to make the windows look glassy, and I really dig the "watercolor" look.  The skewers were for support during delivery as the tower was pretty top heavy.


The dew drops is more clear glaze piped into droplets.  You can't tell from the photo, but the hair is brushed with gold luster dust for a shimmery effect. 


It was hard to fit this whole thing in one picture!  It was easily 2 feet tall if not more. 


I only wish you could see more of the cobblestone stem of the tower, since it did take me a flippin' hour to cover it.  I would have liked to add the additional wing of the house (you may notice there are two spires in the movie still), but for the sake of stability, I wasn't sure how to add it without the whole thing tilting to one side.  Had the house itself been smaller, this might have worked better.  Next time!!!

Needless to say, little Princess Alexa LOVED the cake.  Unfortunately, they did complain about finding a hair on it.  BAHAHAHA, just kidding :)

Love,
Rach

3 comments:

Michelle Frantz said...

Amazing work of art Rachel... Love love love!!

Kate Wille said...

Rachel Dawn, you should have your own tv show, this is amazing.

ChefRachel said...

Thank you for the support guys! Give me another 10 years and I may have the balls for tv! I get nervous when people watch me!