Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Game Face On

Wow.  So I'm still reeling in the idea that I'm going to compete LIVE at The Mall of America in less than one month (October 14th).  Here are some of the deets:

Round 1:  Halloween Birthday Cake
- One carved cake plus 24 coordinating cupcakes
- Must be completed in 1.5 hours
- One-person teams
- $500 for 1st place

Round 2:  Wedding Cake
- Must be at least five tiers
- Must be completed in 3 hours and moved to display table intact
- Two-person teams (Yay Rheanna!!!)
- Design must be based on the imaginary couple profile provided:  A fall, outdoor wedding with vintage and Scrabble elements, orange and taupe color scheme
- $1000 for the first place team

The competition is hosted and judged by The Upper Midwest Bakery Association.  There is no refrigeration available, but we can have microwaves and mixers.  Cakes and icing are made ahead of time.  Neither round is judged on taste, nor will the cake be served to the audience, since we aren't working out of certified kitchens.  That's right, we get a 6 ft. buffet table in the middle of the MALL.  A four story mall, visited by millions of people each year, no less.

I have observed this particular competition for the past two years and waffled between "Do I do it?" and "This is absolute suicide."  Let's face it:  The conditions aren't great.  BUT, it's a fantastic challenge, and I finally came to the conclusion I would regret it more if I didn't try.  So here I go, competing in not one round but two, and live for the first time. 

Rheanna will be my team member for the wedding round.  We have worked together since February when I started my new job at The Queen of Cakes.  She's a foot taller than me {who isn't}, quick to laugh, and full of energy.  I'm so excited for her, as this is her first competition ever.  She's only been decorating for about a year and half, and she impresses the heck out of me.  I think we will make an awesome team!

Our co-worker, Angie, is also competing in the birthday round.  Angie has a meticulous eye for detail and endless creativity.  She will be big competition for me!  But as long as Queen of Cakes is winning, I'm happy!  I couldn't ask for a more supportive group of gals to work with.  This will be an experience we never forget.

My strategy thus far is to go against the mold a little.  Expect the unexpected! 

xoxo,
Rachel

3 comments:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

You will rock this, Rachel. We think you should win just on your rep! Good on ya. Go!

ChefRachel said...

Thanks Ann! I'll do my best!

Mom said...

Go Rachel! Taupe is your color!