Monday, May 2, 2011

Two Spring Wedding Cakes

I found it interesting that my first two brides of the season were both mature in age (I say that with all due respect).  Meeting with the couples, I was completely charmed by their love for one another and how excited they were!  It wasn't too surprising they picked designs on the traditional side, but both had great taste and an eye for elegance.  For me, the flowers on each cake keep the designs from turning dowdy.



Remember the flowers from last week?  I couldn't be more happy with the end result.  The cake looks fresh, light, and sophisticated all at once.  Don't you love the opulence of the silver stand with it?  It doesn't hurt that the reception was held in the garden room at the Lowell Inn (Stillwater), which has incredible natural light.  The sun came out just in time!  Congratulations to Dana and Gordon!



The piping design on this cake was inspired by a photo in one of our books, but with a few creative liberties of my own.  I NEVER make buttercream roses, and was cursing with every petal.  The all-butter Italian Buttercream recipe we use really isn't the greatest for it (the heat from your hand softens the icing faster than it would with a shortening recipe).  Like I said, the gorgeous flowers here make all the difference, and mixing the buttercream roses with fresh was something I had never done before.  The end result is clean and modern.  Linda and Ren already stopped into the bakery today to say they loved the cake!  Thanks you two!!!

*Sigh* I love my job.

Rachel

No comments: