Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh baby

I did this cake for a baby shower last Saturday. There were 115 guest expected, and this cake cost around $900. I REALLY wanted it to be flawless. It wasn't. It did look great, but I could have pointed out a million little things I wished I had done better. Cakes like this that don't have a lot going on are actually quite hard because there is no way to cover up little blips. It's hard not being as good as I want to be. I can see it! I can see how good I want to be, and where I need to improve, it just takes more practice, and I am the queen of impatience.
Nonetheless, itsn't it great that people are spending such crazy money on our cakes?! Insane! We're trucking along in this slow economy.

Best wishes,
Rachel

2 comments:

Kate Wille said...

I think it's beautiful, I can't see any flaws. Stop being so hard on yourself!

forgetfulstitcher9 said...

You should be extremely proud of this cake, it's gorgeous. I know what it's like to be a perfectionist, especially when it comes to making something that is going to be seen by others. Nothing is good enough, there's always 1 little thing that could be better, but, I bet you're awesome. BTW, I too went to J&W 16yrs ago and never actually went into the biz. I am once again back to my first love "trying" to use lost knowledge, and to me it's not fit for others, but I'm getting compliments. Keep going, patience wasn't a virtue granted to me either, so once again, I know how you feel.