Monday, August 8, 2011

Jack of all Trades

Hi!  There is quite the back story to what you are about to see.  I've been stressed about work lately, and after some tearful conversations with Mom, I vowed to take more time outside of my job to focus on relaxation, hobbies, and basically thinking about anything other than cakes.  Don't get me wrong, I love my career, but I'm learning to draw the boundaries between personal and professional time.  I realized that by overworking and over stressing, I'm doing a disservice not only to myself, but my boyfriend, my coworkers, and my clients.

Yadda yadda yadda....So I have been wanting to take up sewing for quite a while.  I took lessons way back in the day (aka: The 90's.  Age 10?).  My mom and grandma have been sewing for me all my life.  Halloween costumes, Easter dresses, Christmas dresses, and lots of cute everyday wear in between (Lycra bicycle shorts with matching neon top, hells yes!).  This culminated with a jaw-dropping dress Grandma put together for my Senior Prom:  A mossy-green silk shantung masterpiece with a low back and gathers on the bum.  One of my most proud and beautiful moments was wearing that dress.

Flash forward to last Christmas.  I had been planning to hunt garage sales for a used sewing machine, but my aunt and uncle who live here locally surprised me with a brand spankin' new machine with lots of bells and whistles.  I love it!  It's so handy, even if I don't have a full blown project going, I enjoy having the option to tailor my own clothes (a life-changer for us busty midgets).

Somewhere along the line, my brother sent me a dress/muumuu from Iraq.  I have so much admiration for my brother and the work he did with our allies there.  The dress was fantastic, but due to my aforementioned midget proportions, we were entering Snuggie territory.  I envisioned turning it into something really wearable so that it wouldn't sit in my closet and go unadmired.

Before



Murph's attempt at ironing.

Not gonna lie, I didn't have much experience with reading patterns, and this was tough.  Definitely needed to brush up on my seamstress lingo, but not only that, my last experience actually sewing something myself was something like an apron.  I had never used bias tape before (to finish the neck and arm holes) and had to watch some YouTube tutorials to figure that business out.  This is the pattern I used, with some alterations of my own.  I can't wait to use it again!

After

Photography by Mr. Scott
With my favorite leopard shoes from Target.



Belted


I ended up using the bottom half of the dress because its so blasted hot here in God's Forgotten Land {Minnesota}, an open neck was a must.  I would like to use the top remnants to make a sparkly bag or clutch. 

And you know how much this project cost me?  About $10!  Yay for completing this summertime goal! 

xoxo,
Rachel

5 comments:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Well done, Rachel. You really are dinky! Making a purse to go with your cute dress is genius.

ChefRachel said...

Ha ha ha, thanks Ann! I'm not small, I'm "concentrated"!

Dana said...

That looks awesome! I wish I was proficient enough to hem my own pants... hehe.

Kate Wille said...

Gorgeous, Rach. Richard's gonna love that you're wearing that! :)

Mom said...

Rach, You are "concentrated" and talented! Love it! Love you!