Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring Birthday Cake


This cake was for my Aunt Nancy's niece (we aren't related) who turned 40 last week, hence the "Life Begins..." tag.  I was pretty much given free range on the design, though Nancy said it should be "girly, but sophisticated."  She also invited me to the party, and the response to the cake was no less than overwhelming!  There were about eight kids that were all fighting over who got to eat the bow, bee, etc.  I wish I had taken some close ups, because the magic is in the details:  A shimmering veil of gold luster dust.  Handmade ruffly flowers.  The fondant bee with almond slice wings.  There are some sparkly beads on wires to either side of the bow, which I had left over from a previous project.  These are the only part of the cake that is inedible.  

The base is buttercream, believe it or not.  I've been experimenting with tinted buttercream in the place of fondant for those who don't like fondant.  Pastel colors seem to work pretty well.  If you go too dark, it stains anything it touches, like say, my chef pants, or your mouth and teeth.  I knew I wanted to use a warm, springy color palate based around the trendy pink/coral color "Honeysuckle" that I've been seeing so much of lately.  I used that for the bow and the rest fell into place.  If it were a dress, I'd wear it!

Love and cake,
Rachel

No comments: