Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekend Update

It was a crazy busy but exciting weekend in the Land O' Cakes.  Thursday night was a much anticipated surprise birthday for our friend Dana's boyfriend, Mike.  The party took place at an Irish pub downtown Minneapolis called The Local, and I have to hand it to the staff for being amazingly friendly and attentive with the drinks ;)

Mike lusts for a Mustang Shelby, so Dana sent me this picture for inspiration:

And the cake:




Mike saved me from a nasty bartender once, so I owe him my life - or at least a nifty cake.  Mission accomplished.  Enjoy 30, Mike!

Next up, my cousin Kelly graduated high school in Byron, MN.  No cousin of mine is having a boring sheetcake if I have anything to do with it.  His sister suggested a Bronco's helmet, and I was pumped for the challenge, as I had never made a 3-D replica before.  Everything you see here is edible, down to the face mask, which dried on a form for three days.  I drove for an hour and a half with this in my passenger seat because I was afraid it would get too hot in the trunk.  My heart jumped with every pothole, but we made it intact!





He likes it!

I always have a hard time saying goodbye to family, and I feel so lucky to be living in Minnesota right now so that I could be at this event that I would have had to miss otherwise.  I held Kelly as a baby!  Now he's off to college in North Dakota!  I guess people said this about me a few years ago, but dang it makes me feel old!  Well done, Cousin!

A shout-out also to my homies in Denver, you were in my thoughts as I made this cake, too :)


Buttercream dreams,
Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When did Mike save you from a bartender??