Monday, July 11, 2011

Ashley's Wedding

I've put this off long enough!  Ashley's photographer, Amanda of Amanda K Photography, posted her photos from the wedding last week and they are SPECTACULAR.  But I had no doubts.  I hope you will go to her site and admire her work, but let's look at the cakes!

Via Amanda K Photography
Via Amanda K Photography
Via Amanda K Photography
A much better look at the macarons than what we saw before.  Aren't the photos dreamy?!  Especially after being there in person, seeing these draw up sweet memories and wrap them in a loving glow.

I have to throw in this one of the bridesmaids because it's so cute and my red hair is crazy bright!
Via Amanda K Photography
I was too busy to take a lot of photos myself that weekend (I didn't sleep in until after the wedding), so thanks to my mother for taking behind-the-scenes shots:

Dueling mixers was the BEST idea for making a shit-ton of Italian buttercream when you don't have a 30 quart mixer installed in your home.  My parents recently remodeled their kitchen, and the new island is posh.  God, I love butter.  About 17 lbs. went into the buttercream and fillings.
The best way to soften buttercream?  In a mixer with a blow torch.  Dad supervises. 
Cake for 150 guests?  Sure!   
If you have been following the evolution of the cake for Ashley's wedding, you may notice we made some changes from the original plan (review the plans here and here).  First, after receiving her RSVPs, the headcount was lower than before, so we downsized slightly.  We still wanted to have an arrangement of three cakes, they would just be smaller.  When the smallest one here became one layer without tiers, I immediately wanted to do this ruffled look that I had seen on the Sweetapolita blog (also the source for the delicious Lemon Lavender Cake recipe I used).  I briefly practiced the ruffling technique in Minnesota (temperature is crucial).  No joke, it took about 5 minutes to cover the whole cake and this is probably my favorite about of all the looks!
I used a medium flat tip with the narrow side facing out. With the bag vertically alined with the cake and starting at the base, slow pipe ruffles, moving the tip side to side at the desired width. The layers will pile up on themselves until you reach the top edge.
Ashley may hate me for posting this...but it is very much an "Ashley" picture.  Congrats you two!

It got a little chilly during the reception, so here I am cutting the cake with two sweaters and a scarf on. 
Again, my mom was a huge help.  Can you tell we're related?  We have the same serious face here!  At this point I'm super nervous because I hope everyone enjoys eating the cake.  It can't just look good!  Ashley assures me it was top of the line, and I believe her because she's still eating leftovers out of her freezer.



Mr. Scott and I in his first appearance on the blog!  The views of Roxy Ann, Hillcrest Orchard, and the vineyard make it so hard to leave the Rogue Valley at the end of the trip.  Oregon will always be my true home. 
Buttery kisses,
Rachel

5 comments:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love your blog. You did an amazing job on this wonderful wedding. And you are right, the photography is world class. LOVE the ruffled cake. LOVE IT.

ChefRachel said...

I love hearing feedback from a fellow artist, Ann! Thank you!

Mallory Joe said...

You are so stinkin' cute. I love you! My mom got a great shot of you, me and Scott.. it is totally big pimpin'. I'll mail it to you. Miss you!

Kate Wille said...

LOVE it Rachel! The wedding turned out beautiful, as always the cakes did too. Love you girly.

ChefRachel said...

Can't wait to see you, Mrs. Kate. Mal, I wanna see!!!