Saturday, March 19, 2011

As the World Turns

I'm excited to be doing a semi-decent job about keeping this up.  I literally only have time to post on the weekends.  During the week I put in about 10 hours a day between the bakery and my gig at the salon.  At Fresh Fields, I coordinate and conduct all of our wedding cake consultations and planning.  I decorate most of the custom cake orders and all of the wedding cakes.  There is a pastry case and refrigerator that Nick, my pastry accomplice, and I replenish.  The case holds individual pastries, from eclairs to tarts and cake slices.  Nick stocks most of the case at 6:30 every morning before I get to work.  The refrigerator stores a small inventory of 8" cakes, 1/4 sheet cakes, cupcakes, "Gateau Por Deux" (4" cake for two) and "cakecups" (cake scraps topped with buttercream and sprinkles, in a cup, for $1.50).  Nick and I divide the cake baking, so he does white and chocolate, I make carrot and red velvet.  I bake biscotti a couple times a week, and I wish I had time to do more quickbreads, my favorite being a newly found recipe for vanilla poundcake I adore (best when soaked with a rum and vanilla syrup).

Nick is an anomaly.  At one moment he is singing along to Metallica on the radio, the next he is crafting the most delicate palmiers and speaking in perfect French.  As he should, being born and raised in Brittany.  I haven't told him yet, but I MUST go home with him and his family someday.  Brittany looks amazing and I would die to go with a native.  Nick has a lovely wife, Sharon, and daughter, Samantha, whom accompany us to wedding shows (Sharon used to to the wedding consults, but has since taken a new job.  She's a blessed helping hand at the shows.)  Sam is a pre-teen fashion maven slash pop star with an enviable subtle French accent.

Like most Europeans I've encountered, Nick enjoys generous amounts of Grand Marnier and butter ("bud-air").  We may go through 6 gallons of heavy cream in a week.  Nick runs 5k's.

My weekended commences now.  I booked two of two tastings this week!  Woot!

Rachel

No comments: