Monday, May 2, 2011

The Royal Wedding Cake

Second to the dress, I was super pumped to see what the royal wedding cake was going to look like last Friday.  It's taken a little bit for the photos to pop up online, but here she is in all her glory:




Absolutely amazing.  I can't imagine the stress.  I always talk about texture and the tone-on-tone work here is incredible.  I can really appreciate how albeit ornate and detail, it doesn't look busy or unbalanced.  Something to aspire to for sure!


And the groom's cake!  Ohh, just to taste either of these...


 


*All photos are from The British Monarchy Flickr page, http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishmonarchy/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like an amazing cake. By the phots, they look they were done in a team enviorment. How big of a cake do you currently do on your own and at what point to you have to make a decision to make it a team effort??

This cake... based on the wedding budget, had to be in the multi million dollar range. Your cakes are very beautiful and Sophisticated as it is; What do you take away from this unique cake and work to apply it to one of your own?? What was the most unique thing about the cakes to a person that creates cakes for a living??

Hope you're well. Thanks!

ChefRachel said...

I think the answer to most of your questions is SIZE. The largest cake I have done personally was 5 tiers. From my experience working in both Denver and Minnesota, these aren't common because the average bride a. Doesn't have a reception for over 200 guests and b. doesn't have the budget for such a large cake. I have never been part of a decorating "team" either, and again, I think that would only come with a very large, detailed cake, that needed to be done in a certain amount of time.

I doubt the royal wedding cake cost a million dollars, but I'm glad you think it is worth that! My guess would be closer to $70,000.

I am completely in awe of the Joseph Lambeth method, which describes the style of intricate piping over marzipan/fondant on this cake. Not only is it painstakingly tedious, it takes a lot of practice and a steady hand. I have dabbled in it, but never had it requested for a cake.

The most unique trait of this cake to me is it's size! I would love to see how it was assembled, supported, and moved! I had to weigh a ton!

Thanks for the Q's!
-Rachel