Friday, July 1, 2011

October Wedding Cake Sketch

 

I recently booked a very unique October wedding cake.  The bride's vision can only be described as Halloween Chic.  Imagine: Black and white pumpkins, jewel encrusted spiders, glittering skulls, and spiderweb linens.  I can't stop thinking about it!  Our meeting was an idea scenario, where she brought in plenty of photos and her cake topper (bride and groom skulls!) for inspiration, but allowed me to take a day to sketch out ideas.  Her only requests were black fondant, webbing, and glitter. 

In my mind, covering the cake with piped on spider webs was the easy way out.  So I decided on imprinted webs for all over texture and depth, with some highlighted in white.  I'm pumped for the clusters of glittering balls, inspired by her dazzling pumpkins.  Black glitter just at the tops of each tier will add interest and drama, but without the risk of overkill.  All that's missing is a diamond tarantula.

To be truly inspired to create is such a special feeling, one I relish in.  - Rachel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! The more offbeat the cake request the more I love it. Can't wait to see the cake in October!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So creative! It will be great, I know it.