Monday, December 5, 2011

Hip Update

Thank you Mr. Scott, you know me far too well.


Hi all,
I have a status update on my hip condition (out of the loop?  Read this).  After reviewing the MRI, Dr. Li is advising me to NOT go through with reconstructive surgery.  In his expert opinion, the bone would require extensive work, not only shaving but also grafting of bone harvested from a cadaver.  Even with the procedure, a total hip replacement would be imminent.  For this reason, he is suggesting I wait a few more years until I'm wearing bone-on-bone in the socket and my work is inhibited, and then getting the replacement.  It makes sense to me, because I think metaphorically:  You can put thousands of dollars into fixing up your old car, which will have to be replaced in the end, or you can wait until it dies to get a brand spanking new one.  Sooooo...somewhat back to Square One.  It's a pain {literally} that I have to wait for things to get worse, but I will tough it out.  For now, no heavy lifting, no marathons, no weight gain, moderate exercise, sitting when possible, and ibuprofen for pain. 

Thank you again for your support.  Now that my January schedule is open, I'm looking at some new possibilities...:)

Love,
Rachel

3 comments:

ashley curtis said...

At least you have an excuse for not running a marathon! I blame mine on laziness :) XO!

ChefRachel said...

Can't wait for a marathon of catching up with you at Christmas!

mr montreal driver said...

Lol! at the picture.