Monday, May 14, 2012

A weekend in Denver

Two years ago, I moved to the Twin Cities from Denver, CO.  After having lived there for 6.5 years, I was itching for change:  A new job, new faces, new places, and a new chapter with Mr. Scott, who was in his second year of vet school here in St. Paul.  It's been an eventful two years, with highs and lows, successes and curve balls.  I have to be thankful for the life lessons I have learned and the insight I have gained.

I also consider myself extremely blessed to have been quickly welcomed into the fold of Scott's peers.  Having witnessed countless hours of studying and cringe-worthy slide shows, I've been deemed an "honorary vet student."  Along with baking a cake, I could probably diagnose your horse with colic and give your cat a body condition score.

Still, I have missed my girlfriends in Denver since the day I left.  It took longer than I had ever expected, but two weeks ago I was finally able to fly back and spend a long weekend visiting my college and work buddies and their families.  It was wonderful, glorious, and full of sunshine.

Elle and I met as freshman at Johnson & Wales.  We didn't bond until the second trimester, as I slept through our academic classes {but still pulled A's, thank you very much}.  But once we got in the kitchen, she made me laugh, and we've been fast friends ever since.  A couple years later, I got her a job working with me at Gateaux Bakery.  She is an INCREDIBLE cake artist with an eye for whimsy and style for miles.  I've told Elle before that she is the voice in my head that coaches me through decorating.

Audrey was a fellow pastry student and Gateaux employee as well.  I adore her for being so sweet and silly.  She and her husband Rob "adopted" me, and spending time with them showed me what true love should look like.  I can't wait for a Baby Jones, as these two will be the most devoted parents.  

Miss Kelly infiltrated Gateaux after relocating from Charlotte, NC, where she also attended Johnson & Wales.  Honestly, she's too cool to be my friend.  I am Screech and she is Kelly Kapowski.  But somehow our opposites attract and made for some of the most memorable Denver nights to go down in history.  Thank you, Kelly, for helping me find my inner badass.  I would walk 10,000 miles for you.

My darling Elle, my faux-hawk and I, enjoying a night on the town.
Sunday: A Rockies game.  My first grand slam!
What hangover?
Audrey's dad, Stephan, Audrey, myself and Audrey's "roommate" Rob, who she happens to be married to ;).  Audrey makes THE BEST spanikopita you will ever eat. 
The Trifecta!  Me, Kelly, and Elle

Elle's dad, Steven, and her FIANCE! Chris.  Elle's family hosted a BBQ on Monday.
Love this one of Chris and I.  You know you missed me!

One of my many mommies, Donna, and Elle

I wish I could hop on a plane and visit every month, but my heart is full to the brim for a little bit having seen these great people again.  Elle and Chris are planning to wed in 2014 in New York, so I will for sure be seeing this bunch again then, if not sooner {please, oh please}.  Kelly and I are collaborating on her cake!

Love,
Rachel

Pin It

1 comment:

Mom said...

So sweet, Honey. Your BFFs are very special indeed!