Friday, June 21, 2013

One Week Later

Yesterday was one week post-surgery.  It is really hard to believe a week has gone by, because my recovery has been so smooth!  Let's take a look back.

The morning of surgery I was very calm.  Maybe it was because it was 5 am and I was still half asleep!  But thankfully the pre-op events moved along swiftly so I didn't have long spells of waiting to get too anxious.  Again, I just wanted a nap.  So I get my IV, take some pills for  pain, inflammation, and I think nausea.  The anesthesiologist is a handsome young gent, he assures me that I won't feel a thing, I'm getting a spinal and Propofal (yesssss, Michael Jackson's drug of choice), which doesn't put me under as deep, so waking up with be faster and less nauseous.

Next, another male nurse comes in to fit me with "boots" that look like rollerblades with no wheels.  These will be hooked into what we learned is called a Hana table.  This special table allows for easier access to the joint when using the anterior (front) approach for a hip replacement.  You can see the table here.

Soon after, I'm being wheeled down the hall to my surgery suite.  I kiss Mr. Scott, Mom, and Dad goodbye.  Again, everyone is calm, no tears, I'm ready to get this over with.  The handsome anesthesiologist places a poufy cap over my hair, introduces me to the rest of the team (all dudes), tells me I'm going to get some relaxing drugs in my IV, and the lights go out.

I woke up eating ice chips what feels like 5 minutes later.  I'm ready to see my parents and Scott.  No pain yet, but I'm drowsy and this first day is shrouded in haze.

Walking with my physical therapist day two in my Bionic Woman Hello Kitty cape!  Made by Emily!
Over the next two days I am visited by the physical therapist, who helps me get up and walking with the walker.  I had sharp muscle pain from my knee down to my ankle, but still nothing in the hip.  By day two, with lighter pain killers, I'm able to order my own meals from room service, chat coherently with visitors, catch up on Bravo, and shuffle to the bathroom rather than use the bedside commode.  My vitals were constantly monitored and my hemoglobin was low and dropping, which makes me pale, tired, and easily light headed.  When it doesn't come back up by my third and projected last day in the hospital, the surgeon is notified and orders two units of blood for a transfusion.  6 hours later, about 7 pm, with more energy and pink in my cheeks, we are discharged!

Over the week I have pushed my self to walk with the walker as much as possible, until it gets uncomfortable, which isn't really more than 20 minutes at a time.  I do some light strengthening and stretching exercises every day, which I do standing up rather than the usual laying flat because my muscles are young and healthy.  Now, I can walk short distances without assistance, which is super handy, because you can't carry anything while using a walker.  I was giving no restrictions from the PT, so I can bend, cross legs, and squat all I want within my own comfort.  Dressing and using the restroom can be done on my own.  All along I have had no issues with sleeping.  I can sleep on my back with a pillow under my knee, or on the non-surgical side with a pillow between my legs.  Honestly, I was not expecting to be this capable and independent by this time.  It feels pretty good to be independent, and I may be able to return to work sooner than expected. 

Today my mom and I are planning on running some errands.  It will be my first time out off the property since leaving the hospital.  I will take my walker for stability.  I worry about getting tired and needing a place to sit down, but there is always the car.

At my two week post-op appointment next week, they will remove the steri-strips from my incision, which did not require staples or stitches.  I'm excited to see how it looks.  It's only about 4" long, centered at the top of the thigh.  I keep a thin bandage over it during the day and let it air at night, but the draining stopped a few days ago.  Besides some tenderness to the touch, my incision site and hip are pain free.

Thank you for the well wishes, cards and flowers I have received this week!  In my spare time I have been doing crossword puzzles, coloring with Hello Kitty, writing letters, and eating gummy bears.  My goal is to lose the walker by this time next week!

xoxo,
Rachel




1 comment:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Rachel, so good to read about your excellent progress. Here's positive thoughts for your continued fast recovery and years of no hip pain! Hugs.