Thursday, June 27, 2013

Two Week Check Up

My surgeon is out of town, so today we met with a nurse.  She took off my nasty, scabby steri-strips and we got to see my incision for the first time.  I'm actually mad that I didn't take a picture - it is the neatest, slimmest little scar you ever saw!  I still can't believe all they did inside a 4 1/2" opening.  Nurse Michelle cleaned it up and put on new steri-strips that will come off on their own in about two weeks.  She was also able to tell me that the numbness in my foot will go away in up to 8 weeks, but icing my hip area to reduce swelling will help speed up the process.  I have had no discomfort from swelling, so we hadn't been icing it.  The tightness behind my knee has dramatically improved, but I still sleep with a pillow underneath it for support.  Yesterday I took the toilet seat riser off, and it feels great to pee with my feet on the floor again.    

I find my biggest challenges at this point are judging how much I can walk without feeling crippled up later, and the walking itself.  I know it's just going to take time for things to fall into place, but I feel like I don't  know how to walk without limping/overcompensating, simply because of habit.  I have think about walking like a "lady": swaying my hips, swinging my arms, long strides. If I slow down and think about it, it happens.  When I want to get somewhere quickly (ie: around the kitchen), it all goes out the window, and I do the ol' Bum Hip Shuffle, which looks a lot like a baby learning to walk:  wide spread feet, little steps, stiff, T-Rex arms that grab for walls and counters.  Yeah, my body thinks this is a great way to get around. 

Finding the balance between pushing myself to walk distances but still being able to perform my strengthening exercises is tough.  Stretching is equally important.  I guess I have some goals!  In four weeks I'll see the surgeon for a more in-depth checkup with x-rays. 

Since I am feeling quite well all in all, I will return to Olympia July 1st.  This will make it easier for me to get things set up in Washington and apply for jobs, although I still don't plan on working until late July - early August.  Also, I miss Scott and the kitties.  Scott has nearly completed his first week at Steamboat Animal Hospital

xoxo,
Rachel

PS:  Took my first shower since surgery today.  It was amazing.

No comments: